Tuesday, January 8, 2013

on the move

I've been quite anxious lately because Chris and Dante are arriving in a couple of months (I keep saying mid-Feb but that's actually when they are leaving VA; they'll arrive in AK a couple of weeks later) and I haven't known where we'll be living. It's really hard to find rental property in Juneau; we don't have apartment complexes like they do in the rest of the country. Apartments exist but they are intended for low or no income folks and have long waiting lists (and I'd consider it unfair to put my name in for that reason). On top of it, most of the rentals that do exist don't allow pets, and we still have two cats. So I was going a little crazy.

However, my "government boss" wanted to buy a house and rent out the current house he's got, and it turned out that his timing and mine coincide pretty much exactly. So on March 1, I'll be moving into a gorgeous (and fairly new) house in Mendenhall Valley. It's in a development where the houses are attached, but it's an end house with a fence around 3/4s of it, and the side that's attached is the garage side. We can walk (in decent weather anyway) to shopping, post office, movies, and the local library, and it's only a couple of miles from where I work. It's got three bedrooms and two full baths, and my boss had just finished building a fully wired workshop in the back yard. They're leaving all of the appliances, including the washer/dryer. They're fine with our cats and we can get a dog if we want. There's a ton of parking. There is no homeowners' association (YAY!).

I'll be moving in right around the time Chris and Dante arrive, i.e. March 1 (though I'm hoping I can at least start moving some boxes in a bit before that). The roommate I'm currently renting from would have liked me to be out sooner, but he had to go out of town until April, so he's actually benefiting from my continued presence since he's getting more rent, and I'll be out before he comes back. So it's all worked out, and I'm happy as a clam. 

...Do clams really have emotions?

Here's a picture of the house from the outside:

No comments:

Post a Comment