Wednesday, September 26, 2012

it's just water...from the sky

I've been traveling! I've taken two trips, one (aborted unfortunately due to some unforeseen circumstances) to the Alaska mainland, and then one to Washington DC for training. DC is only about 3 hours from where Chris and Dante are still living, so I got to see them on Chris's day off (Wednesday) and then spent the weekend with them. I returned on Monday (my 49th birthday) and am getting back in the swing of things.

I found I kind of missed DC and was really happy to spend some time there. I went to college there, and lived in the area for about 15 years, so I have a lot of memories of the place. I felt a little wistful with having moved so far away at first.

It was funny though. On Tuesday a big storm blew through the area and everybody was going on about all the rain. I found I didn't mind it a bit, although I did get pretty wet Tuesday night walking back to my hotel from the class. By the time my plane landed in Juneau the following Monday night, I was really glad to be back in the soft, cool wetness, and I've been happy as a clam since, even though yesterday I had a sore throat (probably from being so tired), and I'm still pretty out of it today (though the sore throat is gone). I'll probably be fine by tomorrow.

 I do miss Chris and Dante terribly. We've been paying bills and stuff and so we haven't really been able to put any money away for them to make the move out here, which means they'll probably have to wait till our tax refund hits. That's not too far off from the original plan, but I wish some sort of miracle would occur that would allow them to move out here sooner. We'll manage; we have to. But it kind of sucks.

Here, have a gratuitous picture of some Alaskan mountains on the way to Anchorage!


No comments:

Post a Comment