Thursday, October 18, 2012

alaska day!

Happy Alaska Day! It's the 145th anniversary of the day that the US took possession of Alaska from Russia. A lot of people have the day off, because it's a state holiday, but I do not.

Last night it was supposed to snow, but it didn't. Today, tonight, and tomorrow we're supposedly going to have snow showers, but I'm pretty much set: I have my boots (2 pairs even), my winter-weight jacket, and I'm almost done crocheting a hat and mittens.

I know there are other parts of the US that already have snow, and of course the rest of Alaska has had it for about a month now, but the panhandle, where Juneau is located, is very temperate compared to the rest of the state. Having grown up in Western MA, I'm pretty confident I can handle winter here. My husband, who grew up in Maine, will find it a piece of cake.

A year ago, I was visiting my parents in MA right around this time, and we had an unexpected snowstorm. I hadn't brought boots or a heavy coat on the trip, because the snow wasn't expected. It was pretty funny trying to step around the drifts. Fortunately it all melted while I was still there. I probably should have at least brought my rubber mocs from L. L. Bean (I'm wearing them right now). They're as comfy as shoes and they would have made a huge difference. I'll probably be wearing these all winter, when I'm not wearing my knee-height Bog boots that is.

I'll take some pretty pictures of the snow when it comes!




1 comment:

  1. Aww, snow! I have this love/hate relation with snow, it's usually annoying for me 'cause I drive a lot, but this year, I'm somewhat eager to see it again. We'll have to wait at least a month though. I want to go at the spa when it snows, it's like the best thing EVER!

    ReplyDelete