Wednesday, November 7, 2012

finally there was snow; also, no car

It finally snowed, a couple of weeks ago. It only lasted a couple of days, but it's supposed to snow again this weekend. In fact, we had a few wet flakes even this morning. Here are some pictures:




Anyway, it was kind of fun to have some snow on the ground at last, although it also made things pretty slippery. I'm looking forward to more snowiness this weekend.

In other news, my car gave up the ghost this morning, as I knew it would eventually. I was just hoping it'd last till Chris got here. So I am taking it off to the junker tonight or tomorrow, and I am not sure what I am going to do for a car in the meantime. I live close to 20 miles away from work, so I kind of have to have a car at this point. My roomie has two, but I don't know if the one he uses primarily for hauling his boat around has winter tires on it or not (and if not, then he won't lend me either that or his primary car). I have been offered fairly decent prices (though more than I can pay in a single payment) on used cars that are more or less guaranteed to be reliable, and it's possible that I would be allowed to pay in two or three installments. So I have options, but I'm not real comfortable at the moment. The fortunate thing is that my roomie (the one with two cars) and I work together so we could, theoretically, carpool if necessary. But that makes stuff like grocery shopping a pain in the ass, plus it severely curtails what little social life I have at the moment.

SO I guess we'll see. As I said to my mom (when telling her that this pretty much torpedoes my Xmas plans), at least I have the money and just don't want to spend it on that, rather than not having the money. It makes a world of difference.


2 comments:

  1. How are public transports there? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the bus doesn't stop anywhere near my house, which is kind of remote, and even if it did, I'm usually already at work by the time the service starts. So I pretty much need a car. There's essentially just basic bus service here along main routes.

    ReplyDelete