Wednesday, July 18, 2012

a week in


I've been in Juneau a week now. I'd hoped, originally, to have explored a lot more by now, but unfortunately I came down with a cold toward the end of last week, so I've been spending all my free time resting. Viruses tend to hit me hard.

It's a pity, because the weather's been fabulous, fairly sunny and in the 60's. Fortunately, the house I'm staying in has a ton of windows and skylights, and so I haven't felt too shut in.

One of my colleagues from work met me at the airport when I flew in, and he told me that he had a room he was looking to rent out and I could move in pretty much right away. So after two days in the hotel, that's what I did. He's renting this house but looking to buy elsewhere in the area, which means the timing could work out such that when Chris and Dante arrive he'll be partially moved out and we could take over his lease. The house would be perfect for us while we're getting on our feet, so I'm hoping that it'll happen that way.

Anyway, this weekend I'm hoping to perhaps do a bit more exploring, although I'm not going to push myself too much if I'm tired. Definitely the weekend after that I'm going to be outside, rain or shine, as I'll have just gotten paid and I'll want to break in my first pair of XtraTufs boots.

Work has been great as well. I'm working as a contrator with the Coast Guard, doing infosec, and everyone's been very nice to me. My roomie has lent me a vehicle as well, until I can buy one, and so I'm pretty free to do whatever I want to do. So far I haven't used that freedom much, due to wanting to rest as much as possible, but I'm hoping to stretch my legs soon.

The house is actually in North Douglas Island, across the channel from Juneau. It's almost directly across from where I work, but there's only one bridge, so the commute takes me about 20 minutes. Still, that's not bad, and it's a gorgeous drive. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the scenery.

Here's a pic of our "backyard"...the Mendenhall Wetlands Preserve.


2 comments:

  1. How fortunate that it worked out for you to rent the room right away like that. That is amazing! :)

    That photo looks so pretty! Alaska is on my bucket list. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, everything's happening in a really awesome way. :D

    ReplyDelete