Saturday, July 21, 2012

speed bump

Well, I've hit my first really annoying bump. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, because of course, I'd seen the notices on mail-order sites saying that they ship (certain items) only to the contiguous US.

I need to buy a bed. My roomie, when I first moved in, lent me an airbed (which leaks) but told me that when his houseguest (mom) left, I could use the spare bed. It later developed, however, that what he meant was that I could use the spare bed if he didn't have houseguests. He doesn't often have them, I guess, but he wants that bed available for when they're there.  And he does have some guy coming next month who will need the bed for a few weeks (I guess).

Well, that's fine, I'd been intending to buy a bed. I have back problems, so I decided on a new bed rather than taking my chances on Craigslist. So, because we have Prime, I decided to order off Amazon. I picked out a bed and a platform frame and I was all set.

Except I wasn't. I can't get those items shipped to me here. We put a man on the moon, but we can't ship a bed to friggin' Alaska. So I hopped in my roomie's car and drove to Sears, where I talked to a young man named Seth who found me a bed that I will be ordering on Friday. I forgot to ask if they'll deliver it or we have to pick it up, but either way I'm good because my roomie has a truck and has already agreed to haul it. So, bump navigated and it's all good.

In other news, I've also arranged to buy a car, a '90 Subaru Legacy. It's not in pristine condition, but it goes and I like it. My roomie's been letting me drive his Very Large SUV, but it's huge and makes me nervous to drive it. The Subie suits me, and it's a pretty dark blue.

Both of these things are happening Friday, because that's when I get paid. I hate having to wait (and I have to wait longer for the bed because it needs to be shipped to the store), but at least I have it all worked out. When I got here I had no bed, no car, and nowhere to live, and now I've got all three. Not too shabby!

2 comments:

  1. I get this nonsense too. People on eBay saying they won't ship "overseas". Like {Michigan,Illinois,NY} -> Ontario is crossing the Atlantic!

    Perhaps if The Big One hits California they will not be part of "the contiguous US".

    Perhaps you should try ordering from a Canadian firm. We are *very* used to shipping stuff to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I was REALLY surprised, frankly, that Amazon wouldn't do it. It's not like Seattle to Juneau is that much of a hop.

    ReplyDelete