Friday, July 27, 2012

new (to me) car!


I've bought a car! One thing that is pretty much de rigueur here in Alaska is four wheel drive, so that was one thing I looked for in a car. I didn't even look at cars that didn't have it, because we will already have such a car when Chris arrives, as he's bringing ours.

I went through Craigslist, because I didn't have a ton of money to spend. I found a guy who flips cars, and bought from him, because even if what he had to sell wasn't pretty I was fairly sure that he had a reputation to protect. He had more than one car for sale, but the one I purchased was a 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.

I actually found (and test drove) the car last week, and asked him to save it for me till I got paid (today). I guess he'd had trouble selling the car, because he agreed and even reduced the price on it. So today I met with him, gave him money, he signed the title over, and I've got a new car!

She's dark blue (except where's she's been reconstructed, which is that black anti-rust paint stuff), with a dark blue velour interior. The tag on the key fob the guy gave me says "Ugly Subaru", but she's not ugly to me. We've already bonded, and I've named her Morgen. I'm going to take great care of her.

Along with registering the car, I got my Alaska driver's license, so I'm now completely legal. After work today, I'm going to go buy a bed, and then I'll be set on the big stuff.

It's been sunny here all week, but today it started to rain. I don't mind; the sun was actually making me a little nervous. I think my co-workers are all a little annoyed at me though because I mentioned in a meeting that I was wishing it would rain. Oops.

4 comments:

  1. Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru. :-)

    (I've had 5)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first moved to Toronto winters were heavy snow and a I could have justified a FWD. Actually I owned a 70's era Volvo wagon, which handled the snow and ice and journeys along snow-bound highways to London and Ottawa in white-out conditions very well. Recent years here in TO have seen hardly any snow. Maybe there is something in this 'global warming' or perhaps its solar cycles. To be honest, I prefer having definite "seasons".

    Ice-driving is a learn-able skill; I'm sure there are courses on it there; there were here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have a decent amount of experience driving on ice but NOT so much driving in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Ugly Subaru." I love it. I'm so excited things are coming together for you! :)

    ReplyDelete